Thursday 16 October 2014

Pre holiday rituals

Do you have any pre holiday tasks you do before you go away? I usually bake a couple of tubs of treats that we eat after walking Fizz each morning. 

At the end of the month we are heading off to the Isle of Lewis so I am starting to think about holiday baking. I pretty much make the same thing - Rice crispy cakes (always) and Nutty Nellies.

Childhood recipe toffee crispy cakesI first made the 'Toffee Crispies' (they are known to us as Rice Crispy cakes) when I was about nine years old.  I hand wrote the recipe which was given to me by a neighbour.  There are lots of similar versions available but I thought I would share mine with you (and as a back up in case I ever loose my bit of paper!).  I always make double the quantity as Mr D and I love them.

Toffee Crispy's
100g Margarine
100g Toffee
100g Marshmallows
100g Rice Crispys

In a large saucepan gently melt the margarine, toffee and marshmallows together.  
Once melted remove from the heat and gently stir in the rice crispys. 
Press the mixture into a shallow greased tin and leave to cool. 
Slice into chunks and enjoy with a cup of tea! 

The Nutty Nellies recipe is one my class made when I was in Year 6.  I don't know where the recipe came from but this is exactly how I was given it! 
school recipe handout nutty nellies

Nutty Nellies
1 Mug Self Raising Flour
1 Mug Oats
4 oz Sugar
4oz Margarine
1 Dessert spoon  Golden Syrup
1 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda (dissolved in 1 tablespoon of boiling water)

Mix the flour, sugar and oats together
Gently melt the syrup and margarine together
Dissolve the bicarbonate in the boiling water and add it to the margarine and syrup
Mix all the ingredients together
Form into walnut sized pieces and arrange of a greased tray (make sure they have space as they do spread out)
Bake at Gas Mark 5 or 190C for approx 19 minutes. The biscuits should be golden brown.
Allow to cool slightly before lifting into a cooling rack.

My thoughts are also turning on what books and knitting projects to take with me. I will let you know what I decide. 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your lovely recipes! I particularly like the sound of the Nutty Nellies. I often make a fruit cake for going on holiday, as it lasts well and goes so well with tea or coffee, and we like ours with butter and cheese too, so it is very versatile. I lived in Lewis for a while, I was at school at the Nicolson Institute in the '80's. Look forward to hearing what books and craft projects you decide to take with you X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite like fruit cake although I have to make egg free at Christmas! Not a big fan of icing though prefer a nut topping. It's out first visit to Lewis and really looking forward to it. I've seen some stunning photos of beaches which Fizz will love and it will be nice to have a steady mix of exploring and relaxing! Have you any recommendations?

      Delete
  2. The beaches are amazing, and usually deserted. It's almost always very windy on the islands, so a hat is a must! Fizz will love it! So long since I have been there that I would hesitate to recommend any restaurants etc, as the information would be very out of date. My uncle is a captain with Cal Mac, don't know which Island run he is on at the moment, but if you come across Captain S Ross that's the man! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woolly hats scarves gloves and water proofs are all top of the list! Will keep an ear open on the ferry just in case!

      Delete
  3. Nutty Nellies! Got a couple of those in this house lol! I shall have to try those. I usually make a batch of crispy cakes, haven't tried with toffees though I will next time. Also chocolate biscuit cake is a fave. Before we go away I get obsessed with clearing the fridge out so as not to waste anything and I always omit to pack something important. I forgot pants once for my son and he's never let me forget it! I've never been to Lewis, you'll have to report back :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment both Mr D and Fizz are asleep! The complete opposite to Nutty! I think the toffee makes the rice crispy cakes a bit more gooey. The pants incident made me laugh. Mr D forgot to pack enough pants on our first holiday together! He has never lived that one down.

      Delete