Thursday 2 October 2014

The year in Books: October

I did it!  I finished Atonement by Ian McEwan in a month as part of Circle of Pine Trees 'The Year in Books'! Here are my thoughts on the book.

The good
I really enjoyed how the book was structured (each chapter had clearly defined sections).  This helped me to set goals of where to read up to which helped with my concentration levels and the speed I read at.
The story itself was well written and I especially enjoyed the sections from Robbie's viewpoint while he was in France and Bryany's while working as a nurse in London. I did however, find her character annoying before this part! 
I had an interesting discussion with Mr D after I had finished the book.  He has seen the film but not read the book and I have not seen the film.  While agreeing that the the 'wrong' could never be put right regardless of the attempts made we disagreed with what happened to Cecilia and Robbie! I now need to watch the film to see if it's my misunderstanding of the book or if the film was made with some artistic license!

The not so good
Finding a live spider in the pages of my book as I was about to read in bed one night!

My next book
A year in books photo of my October choiceMy October choice for The Year in Books is from The Man Booker prize shortlist for 2014 'We are all  completely beside ourselves' by Karen Joy Fowler.  The Book People were doing a great offer, all the short listed books for £30 so I decided to buy them rather than waiting for my library to eventually get them in!   I will let you know how I get on next month! 

Would love to hear what you are all reading at the moment...........


12 comments:

  1. Hurrah! Well done Isla. I'll be interested to read what you think of your next choice, the title is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you..... I'm really please about finishing a book so quickly. We are completely beside ourselves is certainly looking like an interesting read.

      Delete
  2. Karen Joy Fowler is an author I enjoy, and this book was no exception, kept to re-read another time. Hope you enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly looking like a good book! I can tell as I am already half way through. It's the first book of hers that I have read.

      Delete
  3. I have read Atonement but for the life of me can't remember the ending, I have seen the film too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I frequently either can't remember a title of a book or remember the plot! Hopefully by writing things up here it will job my memory in the future.

      Delete
  4. I have never finished Atonement ( I can't remember why). I must get it off the book shelves once more and have another go. What a good idea to check out The Book People for the Man Booker prize shortlist, I shall go and check if the books are still available. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand why in some parts you might not want to read any further. Some bits are a bit grim. Fingers crossed The Book People are still doing the set for £30.

      Delete
  5. I've seen the book We are completely beside ourselves on the local supermarket bookshelf and it does look pretty good. Not yet purchased so will be interested to see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be writing about it next month. Inwill say here though that I enjoyed it so if it's at the right price or you can borrow from a library then do it!

      Delete
  6. I've picked We are all Completely Beside Ourselves as my book for November. I'm loving it so far. I remember enjoying both the book and film of Atonment but I can't remember the ending now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina Hope your still enjoying the book!

      Delete