Saturday 17 January 2015

The Year in Books: January 2015

Just a quick update.   I decided to give up on The Lives of Others which I began in November.  Instead I have started a book I have been meaning to read for a while (borrowed from my father in law months ago).  That book is An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris.  Even after reading a few pages I could tell that I would enjoy it, unlike my previous selection!  I started An Officer and a Spy a few days after I posted my December The Year in Books.  I am just over half way through. 
Robert Harris An Officer and a Spy cover


The story is based on the Dreyfus Affair which took place in France towards the end of the 19th century.  Alfred Dreyfus was accused and convicted in 1895 of passing French military secrets to the Germans.  I have not looked into the facts but I understand that the majority of the book is based on the events which took place. 

I was really happy to read that Laura was going to continue The Year in Books in 2015.  I have really enjoyed reading what other people were reading in the second half of 2014.  It was also interesting to compare what others thought of books I had previously read.  

4 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are also continuing with the Year In Books project. It is one of my favourite projects in Blogland! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny. I enjoy it also although I find that my to read list keeps getting bigger as a result of reading other peoples posts!

      Delete
  2. An Officer and A Spy sounds a good read. Agree about reading list getting longer! Can't read and knit at the same time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It amazes me how some people can read and knit at the same time though....... I just don't now how they do it!

      Delete